The role of Glass Materials in Modern Scientific Technology 26 March 2014
Prof. N. Veeraiah, Professor and Head, Department of Physics, Acharya Nagarjuna University led the weekly discussion on the topic “The Role of Glass Materials in Modern Scientific Technology”. The session was broadcasted live through A-VIEW on March 26th, 2014.
Prof. N. Veeraiah briefly discussed about the classification of glass materials, internal glass structure, preparation and characterization and variety of scientific application (in lasers, in electronics, in optical fibers, in space technology etc.,) of the glass materials. Glass is an inorganic solid material that is usually clear or translucent with different colors. It is hard, brittle and stands up to the effects of wind, rain or sun.
Highlights of the talk
- The glass formers – Glass formers by themselves, Non-oxide glass formers, the commercial and scientific glasses
- The structure of the glass – Crystalline material, The general glass network, the glass network with modifier
- W.H. Zachariasen rules for glass formation
- Methods of preparation of the glasses
- 19th & early 20th century glass factories, Glass manufacturing of this century and the modern glass industry
- Glass packaging production Preparation of glass at the laboratory level
- The early and modern application of the glasses – Application of the bioactive glass to the patient with frontal bone effect
- High performance composites
- Glass in nuclear waste management, Photonics applications
- Is glass environment pollutant? Why? - Optical glasses that include PbO impose a heavy burden to the environment
Glass has become an essential material in human life. Most of the glasses are eco friendly but at the same time do cause some harmful effects. Let us have a goal to make all the glass materials we use to be less harmful.
Prof. N. Veeraiah did his M.Sc (Physics), in Osmania University Hyderabad in 1979 and received Ph.D. Degree in Solid State Physics from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 1984. Prof. Veeraiah has got nearly 32 years of research and 28 years of teaching experience. He handled several research projects funded by DST, DRDO, DAE, CSIR, UGC etc. He Published 212 research articles as on, (with h-index 28 and 2800 citations) in various international reputed peer reviewed journals and delivered about 100 Invited talks at various National and International conferences.Member of Editorial Board of Optical Materials (Elsevier Journal)